“What did I need to send to my client?”
“Did I email my manager back?”
“Who is calling me at 5 PM?”
….We’ve all been there.
Managing everything you need to get done during the workday can be overwhelming. In an ever-changing environment full of digital distractions (Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, etc.) and life in general, it’s difficult to be your best and most productive self every day.
This is why we put together our top five tips to maximize your workday.
- Stop Multitasking. Yes, you heard that right. But, think about it…it’s virtually impossible to maximize productivity for one assignment when you’re working on two or three other assignments at the same time. To keep yourself from falling into the habit of multitasking during your workday, we suggest setting up time blocks on your calendar. For example, schedule time to check emails from 8-10 AM or work on this month’s biggest project from 2-4 PM. This will help hold you accountable to work on that one item during the given time allotment.
- Organize Your Tasks by Priority. Checking every single item off of your to-do list by the end of the day is validating but often it’s unachievable, especially if your to-do list continues to grow as the week progresses. This is why we suggest organizing your daily tasks by priority. At the start of each day, take a look at your to-do list and jot down five items you will prioritize and complete for that day. Once those are completed, you can move on to other smaller tasks until your workday is finished. In this article, Forbes Magazine outlines some fantastic suggestions and methods for setting goals and priorities.
- Create a Stress-Free Workspace. Many of us began working from home in March of 2020 and are continuing to work from home today. While being at home is comfortable and easy, it can also add an extra layer of stress. When you’re looking at a pile of laundry or thinking of what your kids want for dinner, it’s hard to stay focused on your to-do list. Whether you’re at home or in the office, creating a relaxing work environment is the key to success. According to Entrepreneur Resources, “something as simple as making sure the space you’re working in is a pleasant temperature, has comfortable furniture, and has all the tools necessary to your work can help you feel more at ease and less stressed about all of the work you want to get done.”
- Take a Break. Whether you book a daily workout class, set aside a moment to read 10 pages of a new book, or turn your favorite Netflix show on for an hour, figure out what you need to get out of your head for an hour each day. On airplanes, they always tell us to put the oxygen mask on ourselves before helping other people. Think of your break as your daily oxygen mask. You can’t help your employees or clients to your utmost ability if you’re rundown.
- Review Your Week. At the end of every week, take time to reflect on all that you accomplished over the last five days as well as what you will need to push to the next week. We recommend journaling on how you felt that week, your energy levels, and if there was anything in your personal life impeding your workday productivity. You can also take this time to set any weekly goals you might have for the following week.
Another important thing to remember is that we all, at one point or another, struggle with maximizing our productivity. But we hope that these five steps will help you become your most productive self every day.
For more helpful tips and other news from CJ Hester, visit our blog.